What to Do If Your Child Gets an Electrical Shock

by Feb 20, 2021Uncategorized0 comments

Once your baby starts to crawl, child proofing your house will be of up-most importance. You are going to want to make sure they can’t get into anything that can harm them. One of the major concerns you will face is your child getting an electric shock. Some of the ways a child can get an electric shock is by playing with electrical cords, biting through an electrical cord, poking something metal into an outlet, or by stepping on an electric current such as downed power lines.

What are the consequences?

An electric shock can be minor with no long term effects or it can be harsh. An electrical current, if strong enough, enters one part of the body and exits in another part destroying all cells it comes in contact with. Numbness, skin burns, loss of hearing, severe headaches, muscle contractions, and aches and pains are common side effects of an electrical shock. A severe shock can cause your child to stop breathing, become unconscious, have seizures, go into cardiac arrest, damage their organs, or die.

What should I do if it happens?

If your child is shocked, don’t touch them with your bare hands while they are being shocked or you can be electrocuted too. Instead, unplug the electrical cord or turn off the circuit breakers immediately. If this isn’t possible and you need to physically remove your child from the current, use an object that isn’t metal such as something wooden or plastic.

Once your child is safely away from the electrical current, you will want to make sure they are breathing. If not, you should perform CPR and call 911 immediately. You will also want to check for burns. Even if the burns don’t look bad on the surface, they can be very deep. If your child did suffer any kind of burns from the shock, don’t put anything on it such as ointment or ice. This will not help the situation and only make it worse. Also, the doctors will need to get a clear view of the burn or burns. Instead, take them to the emergency room right away or call 911 if there are other complications present. If the burn is extremely minor, a trip to your pediatrician will suffice instead of going to the emergency room.

In order to help your child avoid suffering from an electrical shock, you might want to keep the following tips in mind.

  1. Put big, bulky furniture in front of outlets.
  2. Use outlet plug covers.
  3. Don’t play outside during an electrical storm.
  4. Keep electrical cords out of reach.
  5. Don’t let your child use anything electric by themselves.
  6. Stay away from downed power lines.
  7. Unplug appliances that you don’t use all of the time when not in use.

Importance of having your electrical circuits in tact

Electrician Albany GA cannot stress enough how having faulty electrical circuits/wires/appliances can be extremely dangerous for anybody living in the house and could pose even greater threat for young kids. If you need any electrical services in Albany GA, call us today at 229-256-4543 for free quote. Do not delay repairs any further and let professionals handle the installation/maintenance of electrical systems and circuits.

About Electrician Albany GA

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *